Hedgehogs Are Sometimes Smiley, Grumpy, and Spiny, but at the Same Time, They Are Exotic. Is It Right for You?
As we all know, we are used to cats and dogs primarily as our companions at home for years.
This is possible because they have been domesticated since the first civilizations on earth.
But, the story above is different for animals that are still predominant in the wild or other exotic words.
This is the case for hedgehogs.
One thing to know is that they are certainly not suitable for everyone! If you’re considering getting a pet hedgehog, there are several things to consider first.
A good start is by reading our article: “Is a Hedgehog Right for You?”. In this guide, you will find some important topics to consider before getting your pet.
Here, we’ll give you a quick overview of some of the things you’ll find there:
Reasons Why Hedgehogs May NOT Make a Good Pet
– Hedgehogs are generally shy animals. Most enjoy spending some time with their owners each day (around 30 minutes), but they could not be suitable for young children looking for a pet they can play with often.
– Their quills are not as sharp as they look, but some may find them uncomfortable to touch. Again, hedgies are unsuitable for young children, especially if they are rambunctious, which will cause the hedgehog to become frightened and expose the quills.
– You may not want to keep it in your room – since they are nocturnal, they stay up at night and can be a bit noisy.
– You will need to clean their cage regularly (not to say every day) to ensure their environment stays clean and smell-free.
– Their lifespan is not as long as any other pet animal. This means you will get to enjoy just a little bit of them. For more details, refer to our article: Average Hedgehog Lifespan: What Can Affect Their Life Expectancy.
– Hedgehogs have few health risks, including some that can affect humans. Refer to our Vet Near Me page for details of what diseases can be transmitted.
Tips to Reduce Their Odors!- Some owners have mentioned that they could stink badly. There are a few reasons why I suggest reading: Do Hedgehogs Smell?
Reasons Why They Make Good Pets
– As mentioned above, they are nocturnal, so they are awake in the late afternoon or nighttime. If you work during the day, this means that you don’t have to worry about being around them all the time.
– Hedgehogs are generally low-maintenance pets, so you won’t need to spend more than a few hours a week caring for them.
– Although they can become obese quickly, most will not develop serious health issues. To learn more about health problems, click here.
So, do hedgehogs make good pets? They certainly can, but all things considered, only you can decide whether or not they could make a good pet for you and your family.
If you’re still unsure, feel free to browse around the site further to learn more about hedgehogs as pets, or leave us a comment or email (info @ hedgehogcare101.com) to ask us a question!
Thank you, Rene Wang Photography, for the hedgehog photo featured above!